Thursday 31 July 2014

Trippin' time!

As the cherry on top of quite a year, me and my roommate decided to end my Erasmus experience with a trip to South Wales! During my stay in the UK I have visited surprisingly few places outside of London, being quite happy and content, and most importantly busy, exploring 'just' the city. So I wasn't too specific about where we should go, as almost everything would be new to me anyway! We chose the Gower Peninsula in South Wales, as a kind of centre from which we could explore the surroundings. We rented a car from Heathrow, and after waiting for a very long time - apparently at the speed of Hertz - we were on our way to South Wales, and had a classic roadtrip experience: Sunshine, lovely views, stopping for coffee, singing our hearts out!


 
We had found a lovely cosy house as our base, and we felt at home immediately. The first evening was spent exploring one of the most famous sights close by, Rhossili Beach. It was quite a welcome to the area.


 
 
 
On our second day we decided to visit the area around Pembrokshire. We especially enjoyed the village of Tenby, wich has a beach on both sides of the town.


 
After that we went for a walk in the area of Stockpole, and found one of the most beautiful beaches ever - Broadhaven. We walked through the waves, dug our toes in the sand, sat in the sun and watched the tide come in. It was very peaceful and calm.



 
And to finish off that amazing day, we went to the beach where secenes from the final Harry Potter film were filmed. It's called Freshwater West, and it would have been more impressive if we had seen it at low tide...but it was still quite a view.


 
We then had a day of fog, rain, wind and general darkness, where we went on a drive through a National Park, but mainly we realxed at home and rewatched episodes of Sherlock. Fortunately the weather cleared up on the next day and we were able to explore further areas of the Gower Peninsula, the most beautiful being Three Cliffs Bay, with rather dramatic views.




 
On the next day we drove back to Heathrow and my experience abroad came to and end. This trip has not only been the perfect end to my Erasmus experience, but also a lovely experience exploring a new part of a country I still have only seen a fraction of, and of a country I definitely will return to. It was also great to find out that me and my roommate could travel together, since being friends doesn't always mean that travelling together is a good idea. But we got along so well and I hope it wasn't the last time we travelled together.   

No comments:

Post a Comment